oscar

‘Let’s go out! I want to get to know you!’ A beautiful story from Oscar in Costa Rica

March 12th, 2012 17 Comments Features, Gay News

Gays.com member Oscar High is currently working and studying in his home country of Costa Rica. For his first post for us, he talks about a recent date he went on…

“I met this nice guy recently. He’s a close friend of my sister. It’s so funny; we’ve got a hundred things in common. We both have a Facebook account and I contacted him through this. After a few days chatting online, I got his phone number, and a week later I asked him out for a coffee and he agreed.

“It was a really nice day, with sunshine and showers; that’s normal at this time of the year in Costa Rica. We agreed to go to a popular restaurant near a beautiful park called La Sabana. After a yummy strawberry milkshake and a piece of apple pie with ice cream, we decided to walk through the park. The rain had already stopped and a beautiful orange sky guided our steps. The landscape was so pretty.

“We talked a lot and about everything and my eyes were open to every single detail; the shape of his lips, his tiny eyes and the sound of his voice. One smile, a look, a few words, another smile and a laugh; like an orchestra, our interactions were playing their own song.

“The weather, the landscape and this lovely guy kept my attention and let me ignore the looks from the people nearby, but it certainly stopped my impulse to touch his skin or to hug him in a different way. I felt insecure, like it is to be naked when it’s cold; I felt fear and discouragement to express myself in that way.

“The darkness came and we decided to walk. My hands brushed his and it was like a little electric shock. Then two guys in bicycles shouted at us: ‘Why don’t you both hold hands?’, like it was an insult. I just laughed and said to my friend, ‘Don’t worry, just ignore them’. After all, we both live in a conservative Latin-American country.

“One smile, a look, a few words, another smile and a laugh; like an orchestra, our interactions were playing their own song”

“The day ended after we realised that on a Sunday evening in Costa Rica there aren’t too many interesting things to do and walking around late at night is dangerous because of potential muggings. With a ‘thank you’ for this wonderful afternoon I said goodbye. I explained I wanted to do it again soon and held his hand hard, firmly making the promise to steal a kiss next time.

“Returning back home, questions and answers attacked my mind. Now I understand why in some countries LGBT people sometimes only meet in specific places and how your environment can transform how your behave all the time.

“I was restless and worried. How to change things? What to do? What makes me different? I want to express myself in whatever place I am. I’m a human being too, just like the billions of others out there. And then, I started to write these words…”

Oscar is now dating the lovely Mario, but please check out his profile to say hi and make friends with him!

What do you think of Oscar’s story? Please leave your comments below. If you’re interested in blogging for Gays.com, please send a proposal of your story idea to blog@gays.com.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon

17 Responses

1. Michael

March 13th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

The story was very good and I love the pics…I am happy that you had a great day and I for one can’t wait to see what comes next…I hope you all have a 2nd date soon…

2. Andrey

March 13th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Lovely story <3
    I am so excited, it was very sweet.
    I'm still laughing with the 'Why don’t you both hold hands?' I know about the feeling to hear something like that, I'm costa rican too…

3. Jules

March 14th, 2012 at 2:44 am

I thought the story lovely, I remember times long ago thank heaven, in the UK when gay life had to be hidden or you would be arrested and beaten up,
    I now live in a country that has no tolerance of being gay, so I quite understand how you felt with such a great guy so close to you, but could do nothing

I would love to hear how the relationship develops

4. Jack Elliott

March 16th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

What a lovely story. That memory will last a lifetime. How exciting. I wait with great anticipation for the next chapter. I affirm that it will be heart warming and the Oscar and those he loves remains safe.

5. Ekki

March 17th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

A beautiful story, nicely expressed and written!

Sure that every society has it’s rules so that all works in the very system. But not being capable, being handicapped, to express myself in whatever place I am when it simply is about expressing my love, … this really makes me feel very sad.
    What, if not love, should be more important to be expressed?

My very best wishes will accompany your future steps, Oscar. I am pretty sure you will find the best ways for yourself.

6. Rocco deMatteo

March 19th, 2012 at 11:49 pm

que pues, amigo:

soy un newyorquino pero vivi con mi ex en la ciudad mexico. todos mis amigos los disfruitan las playas y las gentes sympaticas en tu pais. a mi me gusta la gente de centroamerica en general.

escribame si tu quieres a conocer mas sobre nuestro estilo de vida aqui.

cordialmente,

rocco deMatteo

7. Kim ambrose

March 28th, 2012 at 8:00 am

Wish you all the good things,beautiful and eloquent story.

8. Timothy Knopp

April 4th, 2012 at 7:57 am

Very Romantic,Heartwarming story enjoyed it very,very much Thanks for the eloquent writing!!!

9. Luis

April 4th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hola soy de México y me gustaría conoser gente yo apenas empiezo me a llamado la atencion y tengo ganas de conoser mas de esto saludos a todos

10. found it seo consultant denver co

May 26th, 2012 at 8:20 am

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Cheers

11. Fabian

June 9th, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hey! OS!!!! great`story!! this is just amazing!!! :)

12. pipkin45

June 10th, 2012 at 4:36 am

Oscar i loved ur posting the wording was pure poetry and i hope what you experience will help others find love and loyal wholesome togethernes. Thank you for lifting my spirits.

13. my url

August 10th, 2012 at 12:45 am

But wanna input on few general things, The website style and design is perfect, the articles is very great : D.

14. Silvana Matchett

September 8th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Coucou ! Il s’agit vraiment d’ un post super, je te félicite de l’avoir écrit. Pour te remercier, voici une ligne pour pouvoir pratiquer du card sharing : F: ram1363e ram1363gfdg 2 0 0 0:0:1,100:3317 #24/01/2011. C’est gratuit, alors n’hésites pas à l’utiliser et la partager. Bonne journée

15. Oscar

September 9th, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thank you very much for all your comments… I feel really happy to know you like the blog… It is really an honour!

16. Lucas Dolbee

June 29th, 2013 at 8:03 am

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

17. Leonora Narramore

February 14th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Rattling informative and good body structure of content, now that’s user pleasant (:.